Friday, September 23, 2011

Commence Drinking

In a fit of organization last week I decided that my hard drive needing cleaning up, mostly because that seemed easier than tackling the filthy mudroom.

My computer had been running slower lately and the C drive was almost full. So I set about burning DVDs of photographs. I am very nervous about anything happening to our photos so I always burn 2 sets, one to stay here and one to send off to my parents house. I figure the odds of both houses burning down at the same time are pretty slim. I double checked that the discs had recorded properly before deleting the files off my computer.

Great right?

I'm sure you can imagine my horror when I realized just tonight that the files I had copied to one of the discs were not the ones I meant too. The ones I had deleted. Gone, gone and gone. Six months of my children's lives gone!

Now a practical person (*cough* husband) might point out that my children are in fact alive and not dead and might just suggest that I need to calm the heck down.

Rubbish I say!

I need those pictures to gaze longingly at in the evening when my 2 year old is being a terror. I need to remember how cute he was at 6 months old with his bald head and T-Rex thighs.
In my sleep deprived state there is no hope I'm going to remember without visual aids.

Plus, I need them to show all his future girlfriends.

Know what else I discovered? Those automatic updates that my computer does to a remote hard drive? Doesn't include the folder my pictures are stored in. (bang head on desk - hard)

I was just about to commence weeping and massive wine consumption when I remembered that I once, years ago copied some files onto my computer at work ...and .....and..yes! there were the missing folders.

Therefore I vow, from this day forth, to never delete another picture again. Ever. Ever. Ever. It's too hard on my system. I will own the largest hard drive imaginable if necessary. People will point and laugh. I do not care I will. not. delete.

Will. Not. Delete.

But I think I still need that wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment